Wednesday, April 9, 2014

All Natural Deodorant!

I get pretty excited when I find something that you can make at home, is 100% natural and is really effective!  I love this little concoction.  It doesn't get any easier than this!  Try ditching your regular aluminum-based antiperspirant and see what you think!!

1/4 c baking soda (for no stinkies and dryness)
1/4 c corn starch (for smooth and dry.  You can also use arrowroot powder)
5-6 Tbsp coconut oil (for soft and anti-stink, also antimicrobial.  LOVE this stuff!)
Combine powders. Add oil as needed and mix until proper consistency is achieved.

Keep in mind that coconut oil is solid under 76 degrees, so you'll get significantly different results depending on the weather.  During colder weather it is solid like conventional deodorant, and on warmer days it's more like a lotion. Either way, I scoop out a pea-sized amount with my finger and apply.

I keep mine in a jar in the bathroom.  Some people are sensitive to baking soda and may want to play around with the ratios.  Another note about the possibility of redness:  "Detoxing the chemicals absorbed from antiperspirants is also a real possibility that can sometimes manifest in temporarily red or irritated skin."  I found this online and of course I cannot recall the source!


I made it the first time and just used a 1/2 recipe and that was quite a bit.  So if you're thinking about trying it go with half the amount - it will take minutes to make and probably with ingredients you already have at home!

Now go get yourself all natch and non-stanky!!!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment